[mythtv-users] using replay's hardware

John P. Poet john at BlueSkyTours.com
Wed Jan 21 12:43:55 EST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> John P. Poet wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Kyle Rose wrote:
> >

> >>"John P. Poet" <john at BlueSkyTours.com> writes:
> >>

> >>(1) No commercial detection
> >>(2) God-awful slow interface (50 MHz PPC!  Ack!)
> >>(3) Inability to deal with DirecTV's fucking-over of RCA receiver
> >>    owners (more on that via email, if you're interested)
> >>(4) No categorizing of recordings, even by program title
> >>(5) No sharing of programs between machines or people
> >>(6) No ethernet support
> >>(7) No remote access or streaming to remote front ends
> >>(8) No burning of program data to VCD/DVD or trancode to open formats
> >>
> >>And the list goes on.  Lots of these (5, 6) are resolved by add-ons
> >>like tivoweb and tivo/turbonet, but they are hacks that TiVo could
> >>disable with a single software push.  That's too fragile for my taste.
> >>

> >Okay, but the ReplayTV 4XXX series does not have any of these problems
> >(except maybe for #3, I don't know anything about that).
> >

> hmmm so your replay box can share / stream content to other machines,
> and store things on DVD?

Yes and Yes.  The ReplayTV 4XXX series do not have a DVD burner built in,
but it is trivial to stream the video to a PC, and burn the DVD from there.

> Granted Myth has some rough edges, but you can't really compare it to
> Replay / Tivo, neither of them come close to matching the capabilities
> of Myth machines.

True, if you include all the extras like MythWeather.

I like the fact that if a feature is missing, *I* can add it.  I don't have
to plead for someone else to do it.

John