[mythtv-users] transcode/mythtranscode memory leak or buffering?

Henrik Bentel hbentel at comcast.net
Wed Jan 21 00:50:01 EST 2004

Hi

When transcoding from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 I'm seeing memory then swap usage go
up and up and up. but never down.
It's a regular slow mem. usage creep (couple of megs a few minutes apart).

I searched the mailing list and somewhere someone said it was transcode
doing buffering, not leaking.

My problem is that I have a recording that's a bit over 4 gigs. And even
after reboot (with several services turned off to save memory) the
transcode will not complete
before memory and swap runs out. I have 512 MB mem which apparently isn't
enough. I have logs saying outofmemory and database not accessible and all
kinds of errors all over the place. Then the machine reboots. Then on
startup it automatically starts transcoding again, which again eventually
fails, and the whole thing repeats. My workaround was to delete my 4 gig
recording. not cool.

Is this expected buffer strategy?
Has anyone else seen this problem??

-Henrik