[mythtv-users] Burning DVDs

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Tue Jan 20 17:23:21 EST 2004

Malcolm wrote:

>I realize Mythtv doesn't have burning ability built right in because of
>legal copyright issues etc. but what can I use to burn DVDs?  Well more
>specifically how do I burn one of the *.nuv files to a DVD (or even a CD if
>it's small enough) so that if it gets popped into a regular DVD player it
>will play?

That's actually my next major task, I've been holding off a bit to see
if the MPEG2 to MPEG2 "transcode" to eliminate commercials was going to
work out or not.

For DVD player compatibility your recordings will need to be in MPEG2
format, preferably saved as a DVD stream not a PS/TS. I'll remux them to
DVD streams if needed but I'm not planning on supporting converting the
various other streams to MPEG2 at this time.

HOWEVER I'll also support a "backup" DVD that will allow any recoding to
be saved, along with it's meta information.  Stick one of these into
your Myth box and tell MythDVD to play it, you'll end up with menu
similar to the existing view recordings screens.  From there you can
play it back, or even pull it off the disk and add it back to your
recordings.