[mythtv-users] Manually trascoding recordings?

Paul Thompson captbunzo at squirrelmail.org
Tue Jan 20 15:30:18 EST 2004

stan wrote:
> I;ve got some recordings (.nuv files_ that were recorded in RTJpeg. I want
> t be able to play these on a Windows machine. I think I cna do this, if I
> transcode them to MPEG4, right?
>
> How can I acomplish this?

A couple of comments.

First, nuvexport is the way to go. However, I'd recommend Xvid over
DivX. As far as I am concerned, the DivX project is an example why
proprietary software sucks (sometimes). I'ver never got DivX to work all
too terribly great with Windows because the DivX people are so dang
concerned about making money off of the format.

On the other hand, Xvid was no problem. I'd recommend you check out the
following:

   XVid Windows Codec: http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml
   Codec that allows you to play Xvid video with Windows Media Player
   and other windows video players.

   BSPlayer: http://www.bsplayer.org/
   A nice video player that allows for a lot of interesting things
   that Windows Media Player does not allow. A little geeky, but nice.

Secondly, I plan to find a way to automate transcoding of video from
MPEG2 (MythTV/PVR-250 output) to Xvid. Considering they take about 4-5
hours per hour of video to transcode, this won't work real well for me
to do very much regularly scheduled transcoding.

Probably I will find the command nuvexport is using to do my MPEG2 to
Xvid transcoding and embed that in a script of some variety. Something
like that.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in the resulting code, give me a holler.

--
Paul Joseph Thompson
captbunzo at squirrelmail.org
AIM/Yahoo/MSN IM: Captain Bunzo