[mythtv-users] just watching TV is jumpy

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Jan 19 23:38:05 EST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 09:52 pm, Michael wrote:
> > The first time through the guide seems to be slow with 0.12.   Once
> > you've gone through once, it's fast again.   I believe this was patched
> > shortly after 0.12 was released.    Also, make sure that you've enabled
> > mysql query caching.
>
> I have .13-r1 from gentoo.  I scrolled down through the list and back up
> and it still seems slow no matter what.  How do I enable mysql caching?
> Is that in MySQL or mythtv?

Two possible reasons:

- Your version of Qt wasn't compiled with .gif (or whatever your channel
images are) support, and it's trying to load some channel icon images and
failing.  There's a workaround for that in mythtv cvs.

- Your machine's too slow to do the alpha blending for the category colors --
go into the program guide settings in the setup portion of mythfrontend and
select a different 'Guide Shading Method'.  Also, you want to make sure you
have RENDER accel turned on in your X config if you're using an nvidia card,
as that speeds up the UI in general quite a bit.

As for your TV problems, just drop the recording resolution down a bit until
your machine can handle things.

Isaac