[mythtv-users] [OT] Dell Dimensions (and Poweredge)...

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Jan 17 00:26:39 EST 2004

Still veering further off-topic, but...

On Jan 16, 2004, at 12:37, Kyle Rose wrote:

> Andrew Dodd <atd7 at cornell.edu> writes:
>
>>> That seems ridiculously overpriced for that machine.  The display is
>>> surely worth a pileful of money, but my dual Opteron is nearly twice
>>> as fast as any dual G5 in existence, and only cost ~$2000.
>>
>> Note his comment about the Cinema HD display.
>
> Note my comment about the display being "surely worth a pileful of
> money."  Even at $3000, he should be able to get a lot more computer
> for the other two grand, which was my point.

So you're saying that I'd get a whole lot more computer for my money by
going Opteron than G5, but you also said you don't ever use a Mac.
Well, I use both Linux and Mac OS X (as well as Windows at work, when I
have to), so I kinda feel like I'm a bit more qualified to judge how
much computer I'd be getting for my money (emphasis on *my* money). By
all means, everyone else get the Opteron if it suits you better, but
don't belittle another platform if you don't really know that much
about it. I get a helluva lot more out of my money getting a dual G5
than I do an Opteron, but that's me. ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/