[mythtv-users] does closed captioning work?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 16 13:46:55 EST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:08:22 -0500
"Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Friday 16 January 2004 12:05, David jeske wrote:
> > Alright, I have my hauppauge IR remote working now. I'm knocking off
> > the remaining stuff one by one. My next challenge is getting closed
> > captioning working.
> >
> > I've found various indications that closed captioning worked as early
> > as version 0.9. I see the key to turn it on in keys.txt. However,
> > when I press "T" nothing happens. I would expect to get a "captioning
> > on" message, even if the program has no caption support. I'm using
> > the apt-get 0.13 version per the Redhat 9 instructions.
> >
> > I didn't see anything in the faq. Searches turned up just a few
> > really old messages talking about ivtv adding capture support, and
> > someone "busy adding capture support" to myth one year ago yesterday.
> >
> > Do I need to do something special? I think all my data is still
> > rtjpeg, but does the closed caption data get preserved when
> > mythtranscoding to mpeg4?
> >
> > - David
>
> AFAIK, Myth doesn't support getting Teletext/Closed Captions from cards
> using the ivtv driver (i.e., hardware MPEG encoder-based).  I believe
> the ivtv driver *may* be able to support it in the future, but I also
> believe Myth might need its VBI code reworked to support it if it does.

Preliminary support for vbi is just now getting into the ivtv driver. There's no way to get anything out of it with MythTV yet, because the vbi support isn't finished yet. Once support is there, I believe using vbi with ivtv cards shouldn't be any different than with bttv cards, as /dev/vbi is a v4l standard, which the ivtv driver's vbi is aspiring to comply with.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
	http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/