[mythtv-users] What format are myth's .muv files

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:25:29 EST 2004

Quoting stan <stanb at panix.com>:

> I'm just starting to get this going, and I've recorded several shows. I
> find the shows are in files with an extension of .muv, and the file command
> doesn't know what format they are.
>
> So, what format are they?

It depends on your encoding settings.

The standard software encoders use NuppelVideo, which is (I THINK) MPEG-4 based.

If you're using a DVB capture card, the .nuv files will be MPEG-2 transport
streams (and file should be able to identify them.)

Same for an ATSC capture card (pcHDTV HD-2000).

If you're using an MPEG-2 encoder (Hauppauge PVR-x50, Avermedia M179, Yuan
MPG600), they'll be MPEG-2 program streams.