[mythtv-users] Slow PVR-350 decoding in MythTV

Keith Davey mush_keithd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 11:04:49 EST 2004

K.R. Foley wrote:

> I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but the I have seen
> posts on the ivtv-dev list saying that the new MythTV will only work
> with 0.1.9 version of ivtv. Otherwise, it falls back to a standard
> state which doesn't include hardware encoding. Check your
> /var/log/messages where ivtv gets loaded and make sure that the
> version is in fact 0.1.9.

Thanks, that sent me in the right direction. Myself and Thomas Rokamp
have been mailinh offline and we have figured out what the problem is.

Both of us had built our boxes using an automated install.
I used the ATRPM guide and Thomas had used apt-get. The packages install
the ivtv binaries to /lib/modules/$KERNEL/updates/drivers/media/video/
whereas the build from source install to
/lib/modules/$KERNEL/kernel/drivers/media/video/

So although I checked the files in the kernel/driver directory and made
sure they had the creation data I expected the system was still loading
the drivers from the updates/drivers directory

The simple fix is to replace everything in the
updates/drivers/media/video directory with the files from the
kernel/drivers/media/video
directory.

After this I have 0.1.9 Ivtv and CVS myth working correctly with Video
Out and sound. Now even my girlfriend thinks the whole thing
was a good idea.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Keith