[mythtv-users] Back/Exit (escape) not working from remote

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Thu Jan 15 10:50:48 EST 2004

Jeff wrote:

> I have everything working except for one thing, I can't get
> MythTV to recognize an <escape> from the remote control.
>
> Testing with irw and ircat I get (for button presses):
>    irw displays "Back/Exit" (hauppauge_pvr)
>    ircat --config=/home/mythtv/.lircrc irxevent
>     displays "Key Escape CurrentWindow"
>
> Just pressing the button pastes a ` into my terminal window.
>
> Nothing happens when I'm running mythfrontend. If I press the
> ESC key on the keyboard, I back up one level as I'd expect.
>
> Everything else on the remote works fine.
>
> This is with:
>     2.4.23 kernel
>     mythtv-0.13
>     lirc-0.7.0pre2 (patched with the i2c 2.8.0 patch)
>     PVR-250 card (grey remote)
>
> I'm not using Myth built-in lirc support at the moment. I tried that
> first but I couldn't get the remote to work at all without irxevent. I'm
> rebuilding again with lirc support enabled.

I just got Escape working last night with irxevent.  Here is the
relevant piece of my config:

~mythtv/.lircrc:
# Escape/Exit/Back
begin
prog = irxevent
button = Phone
config = Key Escape CurrentWindow
end

A good side-effect of this is that it allows me to close any focused
window such as an snes9x window.  I haven't got it working with
full-screen MAME yet though, even though a keyboard Escape closes it.  I
think it gets confused because it's full-screen and isn't a
"CurrentWindow" or something.  I am using WindowMaker by the way.

Of course be sure to change the button to whatever your button is called
in lircd.conf.  I assume the rest of your remote commands are working
and you are running irxevent before you run mythfrontend.