[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and TV out

Timon, John john.timon at labatt.com
Thu Jan 15 10:18:50 EST 2004

I struggled with this several times.  I could get the X gui up on the TV and
everything, except I would continually get the black screen when I was going
into live TV.

here goes a bit of a brain dump, please excuse the erratic nature of the
next few sentences.

I have learned that one must make sure that permissions are all correct on
/dev/video* and /dev/fb# (0 or 1 depending) mythtv needs to be able to read
and write these devices.

as well as the Xsession needs to be started by the mythtv (or whoever you
run myth as)

mythbackend should be setuid mythtv so that it runs as mythtv

and in the recording profiles, set the width and height to 720x480 for the
PVR.

when creating the XF86Config (or XF86Config-4 on RH) file you will need to
specify your BusID and frambuffer device.

I find that I prefer the out put of XFree86 :1 --scanpci --verbose over that
of lspci for determining the BusID of the pvr350.  This command gives you
the BusID in decimal.  Then just inseert it eactly this way into the
XF86Config file.  I put mine in as PCI:00:13:00, I prepended with PCI, while
this probably isn't totally necessary, I did it anyway.

other than that the tvout howto in the ivtv wiki, I believe that you were
pointed there already, is wuite good.

Good luck

--
John Timon
Unix like TeePee no windows, no gates, Apache inside.