[mythtv-users] Slow video, Max CPU, bad sound

Craig Meyer craig at fdllug.org
Thu Jan 15 01:59:56 EST 2004

David,

1) Try a different sound or video player and see if you get sound.

2) What your player here is trying to do is use Alsa's legacy OSS support
which you may not have enabled. You might instead want to switch to
/dev/adsp (which is alsa's primary device).

3) If this doesn't work, you can check to see if the alsa modules loaded
by typing lsmod on the command prompt. You are looking for things like
snd-yursoundmodule, snd-pcm, snd-pcm-oss (for the backwards compatability
to oss). If your module and pcm are not both loaded, it will not work at
all.

4) If it looks like its playing but you can't hear anything (might even be
the case even though it gives you the error message you stated), its
probably because you never unmuted the alsa outputs. By default everything
in the mixer is muted. You can fix this with amixer or alsamixer from the
command line. If you have alsamixer installed it's much easier to use than
the basic amixer.

-Craig