[mythtv-users] Starting Myth TV without desktop environment (ie KDE)

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 13:19:04 EST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Andy Grundman wrote:
> Here's what I do.  This might work better if you don't feel like
> installing Gnome to get gdm.
>
> At the bottom of your startup file (I use Gentoo so it's
> /etc/conf.d/local.start):
> while 1; do su - mythtv -l -c '/usr/X11R6/bin/startx -- -dpi 100'; done

I tried this (on Fedora Core 1) because I liked the idea of eliminating
the overhead of gdm... however, I kept running into console permission
problems because of the non-root user starting startx.  I read the stuff
about making changes in /etc/security/console.perms but I never actually
got it to work.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>