[mythtv-users] PVR-350 + PVR-350 or PVR-350 + PVR-250

John F DeLuca mythtv at johnfdeluca.com
Wed Jan 14 12:22:55 EST 2004

Thanks to the hardwork and efforts of Issac, Jarod, Axel, the developers
and the posters, I have a working MythTV system.  It currently has a
PVR-350 in it and I am contemplating another video capture / tuner card. I
am still a newbie at all this so it may be a dumb question but is there
any benefit to getting another PVR-350 or is that redundant....

If PVR350 #1 is recoding a show and I want to watch live TV, then I'd
benefit from another PVR350, right?  Cause if I understand, livetv is
simultaneous encoding and decoding, right?  And am I correct, only the
PVR-350 does both?  I have an old BT8x8 card as well but watching live TV
with that is very choppy (although watching a recording which has been
recorded with the bt8x8 plays just fine).  So I assume I need the benefits
of the PVR-350.

On a related note, I am getting my hands on a 43" Plasma HDTV.  I have
Comcast Digital Cable (and since digital requires a set-top box to watch
channels over 80).  Comcast will be providing a new set-top box which
provides the HD signal.  If I understand correctly, the pcHDTV card only
works for the Over the Air (OTA) signal.  Is there a recommended approach
to recording/watching cable company supplied HDTV with Myth?