[mythtv-users] Simply capturing video

Kevin Kuphal kevin.kuphal at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 14 02:23:24 EST 2004

While having worked with Linux for a while, I'm coming over from a Windows
world for multimedia working now with MythTV.  I'm used to firing up the ATI
TV application for capturing my own video from the composite input on my
capture card and hitting record.  Now, I have a WinTV 401 TV/capture card in
my MythTV box and I'm wondering what is the comparable application to just
capture some video I have recorded on tape to my Linux box.  I'm assuming
that MythTV itself isn't the best app to handle this (if I'm wrong, please
instruct me how).  Is ffmpeg the way to go with this to get it to MPEG (I'd
like to avoid AVI)?

I guess on a side note, I'll throw out the idea for a MythCapture module if
the current modules don't provide this ease of capturing data.  The TV
module seems too focused on television to be used for generic recording and
the others are only for playback.  It seems to me that the functionality is
in MythTV already for recording, just not in a user friendly way for
grabbing arbitrary input from the card for capture.

Kevin