[mythtv-users] Automatic splitting of recordings based on filesize

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 13 13:03:51 EST 2004

Is this possible?

Right now I'm using a FAT32 partition for my video store (Not optimal, I know,
I'm going to be ordering one of those 200 gig Seagates from CompUSA shortly,
that's assuming they still have any in stock.  But it'll probably be 2 weeks
before it comes in, they estimate 3-6 days to ship it and then ??? for it to get
here.  In-store pickup is not available anywhere in my state, no stock of the
drive.)

So when a recording hits 2 GB, mythbackend simply crashes without any errors to
the logs.  Not exactly the most graceful way of handling this.

If there isn't such functionality, what files would I look into to add it?

e.g. a rudimentary way to do it (better than crashing though) would be:
If the filesize has reached its limit:
Stop the recording, update the end time for the recording entry to show the true
end time.
Start a new recording to a new file at the new start time, keep on going until
the scheduled end time or another split point is encountered.

Yes, it's ugly and would result in multiple recording entries for a split
recording, but it's better than having a cron job that polls for a running
mythbackend and restarts it if it dies, which would result in recording entries
having the proper start time but showing the end time of the program and not of
the actual recording.

Another use for people who aren't running FAT32 and don't have the 2GB limit is
to set a 4.7GB limit for easy archival to DVD-R.