[mythtv-users] Removing old kernels

Paul Kasianides pauli at zbzoom.net
Mon Jan 12 21:01:34 EST 2004

John,
While this is not appropriate for the mythtv list, I sympathize.
If you're using Fedora Core 1 and Grub is your boot loader, you can edit
the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.
default=(some number)
0 is the first entry in the list below.
1 is the 2nd entry in the list below.
2 is the 3rd entry in the list below....etc.

While still playing with kernels, you may wish to keep another
known-good bootable kernel option available.  If you just want it to
choose one of them to boot automatically, you can set the "default" flag
and your list of alternatives will still be present.  This doesn't
remove the other kernels.

My example below only has one option.

[root at pkmythtv root]# more /boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=4
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2140.nptl_30.rhfc1.at)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2140.nptl_30.rhfc1.at ro root=LABEL=/
rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2140.nptl_30.rhfc1.at.img
[root at pkmythtv root]#

If this isn't a hit on what you're doing, I recommend the distribution
mailing list you are using...or you can email me off list.
Enjoy,
Paul

--
Paul Kasianides <pk> pauli_AT_zbzoom_DOT_net

1 Corinthians 9
(24)Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets
the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.