[mythtv-users] PVR-250 success and PVR-350 failure (long!)

Blues Guy bluesguy_1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 20:11:24 EST 2004

--- Torsten Schenkel <torsten.schenkel at web.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 00:41, Blues Guy wrote:
>
> Hi, all the errors you are reporting are related to
> irq/dma conflicts
> between the decoder and the framebuffer part of the
> driver. These parts
> of ivtv code aren't as mature as the capturing side.

Well I could defintely tell it was framebuffer
related, because when I ran X on the pundit's ouput,
and just the TV on the PVR-350, it was very stable.
Also when it "locked", it was just the framebuffer
display, everything else on the machine was still
working fine.  However, I still can't explain the fact
that both the pundit's and the PVR-350's s-video will
only output B&W now, when prior to the 350 (with two
250's) the pundit's s-video output worked fine.  It
almost seems like a hardware resource conflict.  Maybe
this combination just doesn't work in the pundit?  I
haven't pulled out the 350 yet to verify, 'cause it's
such a PITA with this case and the slightly oversize
cards.

> As your using 0.1.7 you shouldn't see that much
> problems, but I can
> assure you that it's not unusual and you are not
> alone. Having two cards
> in the system (more DMA) increases the probability
> of the decoder hangs.

For the record, the two 250's worked great, and I
grepped through my old syslog's and there was never a
DMA error.

> CVS-latest should have a lot of fixes in there, as
> well as the changes
> required by David Engels patches to mythtv relating
> the pvr350's tv-out.
>
> With your setup I'd recommend switching to CVS
> versions of ivtv and
> mythtv. ATM you have to patch mythtv to get the
> increased stability and
> functionality David's patches provides. But if I
> read correctly David's
> patchset should go into cvs within the week, or as
> soon as 0.1.8 of ivtv
> is released.

I'll try out the CVS versions of myth and ivtv this
weekend and see what happens.  I'll post a question to
the ivtv list and see if there's any thoughts there as
well... Then I'll hack mplayer to play DVD's with the
350's 720x480 output. :-)