[mythtv-users] Big quiet drive on the cheap

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Mon Jan 12 16:42:30 EST 2004

Am Mo, den 12.01.2004 schrieb steve at nexusuk.org um 19:45:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Isaac Force wrote:
>
> > 200GB Seagate 7200.7 for $99.99 after rebates at CompUSA. The 7200.7 line is
> > listed as #4 on StorageReview's idle noise performance chart.
>
> The hard drive in my Myth box has just gone bang and I've got to replace
> it (running on a very noisy temporary drive ATM that I grabbed from work).
> In the interests of reducing heat and noise, is 7200rpm really needed?
> When you think about it, Myth really doesn't throw a huge amount of data
> around (a couple of gig per hour really isn't a huge amount by modern
> standards).

5k drives are more than enough, I have a SAMSUNG SV1604N set to low
noise mode (low acceleration of the heads, who cares for seek times?)
and it's more than enough. I didn't try recording two streams and
playing one. But recording one, playing one, compiling the new cvs of
myth (niced) and copying a 3 gig film over wlan didn't nearly max it
out.

Torsten

--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough