[mythtv-users] Hauppauge MediaMVP as a Frontend?

Jarrod Gray grayjk at cs.rose-hulman.edu
Mon Jan 12 12:16:20 EST 2004

I went out and bought one yesterday. This is ideal for a frontend IMHO. It
has the same decoder as the 250/350 hence the same high quality video out.
It runs linux and has a filesystem that can easily be modified. It has a
powerpc 405 risc processor which goes upto 266mhz. The filesystem and
kernel image are loaded via tftp from a server. While snooping around the
fs a bit, I've found kernel modules for the decoder, a frame buffer,
and other audio modules.

The ivtv kernel module could probably be made to work on the device or it
should be possible to reverse engineer the interfaces to the modules that
are already there (see http://www.cs.utk.edu/~gettler/mediamvp/).

I'm going to set up a powerpc 405 build environment
(http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.25.tar.gz patched with
ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/mediamvp_download/crosstool-0.25-ppc405-gcc2.patch.gz).
Somewhere on shspvr.com are the source files that hauppauge used to build
the fs image but shspvr.com appears to be down right now. I want to get
telnet or ssh on it and then go from there.

Jarrod