[mythtv-users] Using Mpeg-2/Mpeg-1 encoders directly to record a show

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Mon Jan 12 11:17:32 EST 2004

"Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com> writes:

> On Jan 12, 2004, at 6:08 AM, Dhiraj Gaurh wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it be great if we could record a show in Mpeg-2/1 without
>> having to record in Mpeg-4 and later convert it to Mpeg-1. That way
>> we could more easily make VCD's, right ? Can that be possible any
>> time in the future, or is something like that not possible without a
>> hardware encoder(that doesn't sound right though).
>
> Please feel free to read the MythTV documentation some time. MythTV
> has had support for the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-x50 mpeg2-encoder cards
> for at least six months now.

Please feel free to read the original message more carefully.  It
seems pretty clear from "or is something like that not possible
without a hardware encoder" that the poster knows it works with cards
like the PVR-* series, but that there is no built-in MPEG-1/2
*software* encoder in MythTV.

Cheers,
Kyle