[mythtv-users] DMA problems again

Craig Meyer craig at fdllug.org
Mon Jan 12 10:26:03 EST 2004

1) Acpi and Apic are two different things. Apic is used primarly on newer
and SMP machines for the purpose of stearing extra IRQ's. It allows newer
computers to use over 16 IRQS and SMP machines to make intterupt requests
with both processors. ACPI is support for extra power extensions for
better power saving etc.... If your having a DMA problem, shut off APIC
and not ACPI.

2) Someone mentioned before in this thread that the 2.4 series kernel does
not have support for shutting off APIC durring the boot sequence. He is
mistaken, this is not just a 2.6 series option. I have been forced to use
that boot option on my BP6 SMP machine for over a year now with a 2.4
series kernel because otherwise the machine simply will not run Linux
correctly. I have never recompiled the kernel for this system. If you
can't find the command, write me personally and I will check my lilo.conf
for the correct append mesg (note: I think its noapic)

-Craig