[mythtv-users] LIRC support flaky (both irxevent AND native)

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Mon Jan 12 01:22:50 EST 2004

Tony Maro wrote:
> Also, I just realized that the modules work fine with the remote.  It's
> only the menus and the main MythTV parts that don't work right...
> Mythmusic lets me choose music to play just fine.
>
> Tony Maro wrote:
>
>> For some reason my lirc support just went wacko.  Here's the thing...
>>
>> Originally I was using irxevent to trigger the keypresses.
>>
>> After a reboot and restart, suddenly the remote was not working right.
>> It ALWAYS takes the first button press after starting the frontend but
>> after that there's like a one in 50 chance that the button presses
>> will be used.
>>
>> Lirc is working fine with MPlayer using irxevent.  It's only missing
>> keys on mythfrontend.
>>
>> This just started.  Here's the things that changed for me, but I can't
>> pin down what triggered it because it was all changed the same day:
>>
>> Updated from CVS.
>> Installed the backend freeze fix.
>> Installed new 27" TV
>> Rebooted myth box (actually, accidentally unplugged box while
>> installing TV...)
>> noticed extremely flaky remote, thought it was positioning of
>> receiver, or resolution changes I did to the LiveTV settings.  Found
>> it flaky even in main menus and did more tests to find above.
>>
>> I recompiled mythtv to have native lirc support and tested using that
>> instead of irxevent and still have the same problem.

Okay, another tidbit since nobody else seems to have this problem.

I've been running native LIRC support.  This means even when
mythfrontend doesn't have focus, it still gets the lirc keypresses.

In fact, it's when mythfrontend DOESNT have focus, that everything works
perfectly in mythfrontend.  I can throw a console ontop of mythfrontend
and scroll through the menus like mad using the remote.  If I make
mythfrontend have focus it doesn't change...

So, I did some testing.  I set up ircat running in a console monitoring
keypresses.  When the remote is unresponsive, ircat shows no keypresses.
  When the remote works fine, ircat echoes the output to the console.

 From this I have discerned that with mythfrontend on top, something
happens that interferes with the normal operation of lircd.  If
mythfrontend doesn't have focus / isn't on top, then there's not a problem.

Weird...

-Tony Maro