[mythtv-users] How to add an additional disk drive to Myth

John F DeLuca mythtv at johnfdeluca.com
Sun Jan 11 17:57:18 EST 2004

First of all, I want to thank everyone behind Myth as it is an awesome
product and has some incredible support.  I am 99% there (have tried a
couple dists but am currently trying to get Jarod's Fedora Core process
completed.

I have Myth/Fedora Core 1 running on an Athlon XP 1800+ with 1.5GB Ram.
Currently it is installed on a 32GB drive.  Obviously, I want to increase
the size.  I think the best course is to add my 120GB drive to the
secondary IDE Channel.  I've done that and booted.  Keeping in mind I am a
newbie to Linux, I'm trying to:

1.  Have Fedora/Myth see the new drive
2.  Use the new 120GB drive just to store my recordings/buffer
3.  Keep the 32GB drive for Linux/Fedora install

I think separating the OS from the recordings is the best course of
action....am I right?

So now my real question.  What do I need to do for Linux and Myth to
see/use the new drive for live buffer and recordings?

I've googled a bit and now know LVM is my friend.  Before I embark and
make stupid newbie mistakes, is there a course of action I should follow?
Is there a benefit to having the 120 GB as hdb,hdc.or hdd?  I have my 32
GB on hda.  I also have a CD/RW and DVD/RW which will likely be in the
machine but want to determine the best config (e.g., 32GB on hda.....CD/RW
on hdb......120GB on hdc......DVD/RW on hdd).

Here's what I was thinking of doing (32GB already has Linux/Myth installed
and is hda.  120GB is the new disk and is hdd)
1.  Initialize the disk:  # pvcreate /dev/hdd (or hdx where x is the
suggested location for the 120GB drive)
2,  Create the volume group:  # vgcreate my_volume_group /dev/hdd1
/dev/hdd1  (any idea what the volume group name should be or can it my
anything?)
3.  Activate the volume group:  # vgchange -a y my_volume_group

So is that all there is to getting the disk seen on the system?  Seems
easy.  Now, what to do in myth to have the buffer/live recordings saved
there?  I know in the mythtvsetup, I specify the location for recordings
and buffer....do I change those to something like /dev/hdd/var/lib/mythtv/
for storage of recorded shows, and /dev/hdd/var/cache/mythtv/ for live TV
buffer?

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie.