[mythtv-users] DMA problems again

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Sun Jan 11 16:11:09 EST 2004

michael brown wrote:
> From: "Tim Wilhoit"
>

>>I keep getting this error on in /var/log/messages:
>>
>>Jan  9 01:07:43 mythbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
>
> DriveReady
>
>>SeekComplete Error }
>>Jan  9 01:07:43 mythbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
>>DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>

> Your hard drive is failing, replace it.
>
> michael brown

Good guess, Michael, but probably incorrect.

I've been through this.  It's a weird issue between VIA mobos and
certain drives.  Replacing the drive with a different make/model _might_
fix the problem.  I have a maxtor 80 GB that has the problem, but the
second IBM drive in that system does not.  The drive with the problem
_never_ has the problem on my nforce mobo.

The disable apic support suggestion is likely the correct answer.  You
have two options, either recompile your kernel removing the "local APIC
support" or disable it at boot with your boot manager.

I googled this and found many different options suggested for boot time
to disable APIC, so I just put them all into my line and these problems
went away.

in lilo.conf look for the kernel you are booting and make sure the
following entries are in your "append" line:

noapic nolapic pci=noacpi acpi=off

Oh, and do as I do - don't buy another mobo with VIA chipsets to run
Linux on. ;-)

-Tony