[mythtv-users] Channel zapping and the WAF

Tobias Luetke tobi at neech.de
Sun Jan 11 15:12:24 EST 2004

Now where the mythbox is nearing completion running on
a nifty athlon 2000xp under gentoo in a beautiful Antec overture
chassis, powered by the latest bits the cvs could hand me over in case
of ivtv, lirc, alsa and of cause mythtv including all its wonderful
plugins and david engel's latest patches to make the PVR350 (yes i'm
using its tvout)  behave oh so much better, I'm still concerned with
minor nuances.

The much quoted WAF ( Whife acceptance factor ).

Point1) Zapping. I know that the whole point of the mythbox is to get
rid of stupid zapping. However since we are used to cabletv the mythbox
channel change speed decreases drastically with the mythbox. After the
signal is send the channel switches and then the first picture of the
new channel freezes for 2-5 seconds. Is this normal behavior or are
there any tweaks i can perform ? Because i know for fact that this will
cause concern until the other advantages of the mythbox become more
obvious.

Point2) Is there a way to get a TV to just display the SVHS input after
turning on? Turning on the TV with one remote and navigating to the
right video channel, then switching remotes is going to be old really fast.

Either way, thanks to everyone who contributed to this project, its
awesome.

P.S: is it possible to run X on both tv and monitor at the same time ?
any pointers ?