[mythtv-users] DCT2224 Digital Cable Box

ian at duckland.org ian at duckland.org
Sun Jan 11 00:15:16 EST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Stephen Mowry wrote:

> I know this leaves out a lot of details, but since I don't have it working,
> I'm not yet ready to write a detailed HOWTO on all the steps for enabling
> and troubleshooting DCT2XXX serial cable channel changing.  There are an
> incredible number of people using these boxes and I think it would be great
> if someone (who's gone through all of this already) could compile their
> knowledge into a *GOOD and USEFUL* HOWTO with more detail than the few
> paragraphs in the Myth docs.

Oh bloddy hell.  I wrote a HOWTO on this *months* ago.  If you've got
mythtv on a machine at home, you have a copy of it on your machine.  Look
in the contrib directory and you'll see TWO sets of code for changing
channels on a DCT2000 series box.  One is a set of Python scripts where
*no-one* has complained about the README.  The newer piece of code is Jim
Paris' C code that works faster, has better error checking, and also has a
README file that *no-one* has complained about.

> MythTV is pretty much USELESS without channel changing, and it's completely
> stupid that there isn't any more coherent documentation supporting the
> DCT2XXX series... or try finding docs on getting the default DISH Dish Pro
> 301 (that another few million people have.)

You should do some more homework before calling situations stupid.
Attitudes like the above aren't very productive on this list.

	-Ian