[mythtv-users] Black screen through mythtv

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Sat Jan 10 18:45:56 EST 2004

Am Sa, den 10.01.2004 schrieb Tobias Luetke um 18:04:
> Torsten Schenkel wrote:
>
> > Am Sa, den 10.01.2004 schrieb Tobias Luetke um 06:47:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I have been tinkering around with a new PVR 350 and the ivtv drivers.
> >>Installation was fairly straight forward, cat /dev/video0 > bla.mpg
> >>yields a perfect picture.
> >>
> >>However for whatever reason i cannot get mythtv to work together with
> >>the ivtv driver. I tryed every input in the list ( and always bound my
> >>provider to it before trying ).
> >>
> >>I have tryed it with mythtv 1.3 (release +patch) and cvs latest, i also
> >>switched back and forth between ivtv 0.17 and cvs latest.
> >>
> >>I'm sure i'm missing something obvious, ivtv is clearly doing its job as
> >>  cat on /dev/video0 shows.
> >

> > My guess is you're not telling myth that you have the mpeg2-encoder card
> > and myth assumes a v4l card. Look in mythtvsetup and check the card
> > setting, make sure you select mpeg2-encoder from the drop-down list.
> >
> > Torsten
> >

> I just double checked, no the input device is set to MPEG. But im
> starting to think that you might be pointing at something,
> if i lsmod i see the bttv driver loaded. Maybe devfs loads this module
> once myth trys to access /dev/video0 ?

No, I think devfs works the other way round, the devices get created
when the module is loaded. Your /etc/modules.conf is responsible for the
thing you see. Look for an alias for bttv. But nevertheless it shouldn't
be a problem, I don't see a difference if bttv is loaded or not.

If you are using the pvr350's tv-out the problem might well be on the
decoder side.

> Either way after myth doesn't work i can still get mpeg video with cat
> into a file so nothing seems to be messed up.
>
> I just don't get it :(
>
> ( i tryed kernel 2.4.20 and 2.4.24 now and it gives me same behaviour )

Hmm, need more info:

- Are you using the tv out of the pvr350?
- What is the output of 'lsmod'
- What's the output of 'dmesg' when you get the black screen?

--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough