[mythtv-users] XvMC and deinterlacing: the real answer

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sat Jan 10 11:07:34 EST 2004

OK, so I had a look at the code... MythTV's XvMC output *does not* call
the filter chain at all, so therefore it's not doing deinterlacing at
all.  What's more, it's impossible to do so, because MythTV is never
given the complete, decoded frames -- these are kept in the video card.

What the driver *is* capable of doing (but MythTV is not utilizing) is
displaying the top field, the bottom field, or both.  Right now it's
displaying both, so you get interlacing artifacts.  As time permits, I
intend to look into displaying the fields sequentially, which is a form
of deinterlacing.  This is harder than it sounds because it doubles the
frame rate for displaying pictures, but not for decoding.

-Doug