[mythtv-users] Re: Choice of Linux distro?

Sam Gibbons sgibbons at geeklord.com
Fri Jan 9 15:05:38 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 11:40, IvanK. wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2004 12:04 pm, Sam Gibbons wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I have yet to get TV-Out (from the 350) to work correctly, however. I
> > get a picture and sound, but the picture is choppy and unwatchable via
> > the TV-Out. So, I use the GF2 s-vid out with NVTV to correct the
> > picture.
> >
> > Sam
>
> Sam,
>
> that only means you're not using the decoder, but are simply outputting to the
> framebuffer.  Try this link:
>
> http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=TvOutHowto

Ivan:

By "not using the decoder" do you mean the check box for /dev/video16 in
MythTV? That is and has been selected each time.

I must be missing something fairly obvious.

* My modules.conf file looks similar with the exception of the brooktree
stuff and the line below:

post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -u 0x3000

I believe I had that line in there at one point with no effect on TV-Out
choppiness.

* I don't need to create any links between devices as they all exist
where and how they should. And the only one meaningful to this
discussion is /dev/video16. Yes?

* Actually getting saa7127 to work is moot as I wouldn't be seeing X on
my TV without it (which I do).

* XFree86 config file points to the /dev/fb0 which is the Hauppauge
frame buffer. I do get X on the TV via s-video out.

I'm missing something. Not sure what it is...

Thanks for the pointer though. If you can see what I cannot, let me
know. ;-)

Sam