[mythtv-users] DMA problems again

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Fri Jan 9 03:23:32 EST 2004

Tim Wilhoit wrote, On 1/8/2004 11:27 PM:
> I keep getting this error on in /var/log/messages:
>
> Jan  9 01:07:43 mythbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Jan  9 01:07:43 mythbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>
> "insmod saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0 test_image=1" produces
> the color bars like it is supposed to.  But when I do dd if=/dev/video
> of=/dev/video16 bs=64k to test my framebuffer I get nothing.  Are these
> DMA errors usually enough to cause nothing at all to come out of the
> framebuffer?.
>
> I do have a Abit KT7 which is the KT133 chipset and I see that is known
> to have problems with DMA.  For those of you that fixed this issue how
> did you do so.  I already tried a shorter cable.  I also tried going
> back to a 40 wire cable instead of the 80 wire I was using.  I also
> tried disabling DMA with hdparm -d0.  I am running out of ideas and am
> contemplating how I want to get around this.  Not sure if I should just
> get a new mobo or what.  I am pretty confident the drive is good. Any
> suggestions are welcomed.

I've used this motherboard with a number of IDE drives without any
problems in the past.  I would try these things first if you have the
spare hardware:

1. Try a different drive, preferably a completely different model.
2. Try an add-on IDE controller
3. Double check that your BIOS is upgraded to the latest.

What kernel / distro are you using?

-Dave