[mythtv-users] Xv and XvMC - what's the difference?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 23:12:59 EST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 16:46, Emlyn.Bolton at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could somebody enlighten me as to what Xv and XvMC are exactly, and whether
my assumptions are accurate.

> I assume that Xv provides some form of direct access to the screen but I'm
unsure of the specifics.

> Thanks in advance!

Xv is X-Video.  It's a standard API/protocol/whatever for using video hardware
to accelerate certain operations.  Myth uses it primarily for scaling (so
that you can have full-screen video, regardless of the recorded resolutoin)
and contrast/color/brightness output controls.

XvMC is X-Video Motion Compensation.  It's basically an interface to
hardware-accelerated MPEG1/2 decoding.  I don't know much about MPEG
decoding, but my understanding is that it only does iDict, which is only the
first stage of the decoding process, not the full decode like the PVR-350
does.  Somebody who knows more can probably give a better explanation.  At
the moment, the only available XvMC implementation seems to be the binary
Nvidia driver for the GeForce4 MX or GeForce FX cards.

-JAC