[mythtv-users] nvtv or XF86config?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 8 01:50:58 EST 2004

On Jan 7, 2004, at 15:23, ope wrote:

> Before I start playing with the nvtv driver I thought
> I would ask those who know if there is anything to be
> gained by using it.

A very tiny bit, perhaps. You can set chroma, luma, brightness and
contrast w/either nvtv's gui or with command-line switches. However,
you can do all that in the MythTV frontend already, so its kinda
redundant. The biggest place nvtv is useful is if you have a
pre-GF4-series card and want/need overscan.

> I have a GeForce4 MX card and have configured the
> TV-OUT per the nVidia documentation.  My question is,
> what is the advantage of using nvtv over just setting
> the TV settings in the XF86config file?

You can modify settings on the fly with nvtv, while overscan
adjustments in XF86Config will require a reload of X. I don't touch
nvtv on my GF4MX-equipped system, since you should really only have to
tweak the settings once and leave 'em. Only my secondary system (w/a
GF2MX) uses nvtv.

> Does it look better?

Certainly not in my case. The GF4MX system is hooked to a 47" HDTV, the
GF2MX system to a 27" analog tube. ;-)

> What features does nvtv have over the nVidia driver?

Along with the other stuff I already mentioned, I believe it may
support a wider variety of TV encoder chips than the nvidia driver.

Also, note that you can use both the nvidia driver and nvtv at the same
time. That's what I'm doing on my GF2MX.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/