[mythtv-users] Remote myth front end

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Wed Jan 7 22:49:30 EST 2004

bobstaff wrote:>
> What I'm trying to do now is set up a second remote frontend on my main
> computer so I can watch recorded TV programs on my monitor, but I cannot get
> this to work.
>
> I have the following configuration on the remote frontend computer
>
> mythbackend running with no TV card configured since that computer does not
> have one.

You shouldn't run mythbackend on the PC that's just going to play
recordings.  The easiest answer is to keep the backend on the machine
with the capture card.

> mythfrontend is running with the IP address of itself set for the first IP
> address in the setup and the IP address of the other computer (with PVR-350)
> for the Master Server IP.

Instead, run the backend on the TV unit, (where it needs to be anyway
for the capture card) and set both IP's in the setup to itself, but of
course use the real IP and not 127.0.0.1 otherwise the remote frontend
will get confused.

Also, make sure that the mysql on the TV unit allows "mythtv" identified
by "mythtv" to access it across the network from whatever your PC's ip
address is.

You don't need to run the setup utility on the frontend only box, just
configure the backend server IP in the "mythfrontend" to point to the
box attached to the TV that is running the backend.

Whew.  There's probably an easier way to explain that...

-Tony