[mythtv-users] Satellite Receiver options

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Wed Jan 7 21:59:32 EST 2004

> I understand my options for tuning are:
> 1> DST/DVB card
>    - I believe that proprietary Directv encryption prohibits this
>      option.
Yes, most likely.

> 2> Satellite receiver w/ serial port (aka. "low-speed data port")
>    - My receiver does not have the serial port... Would require a new
>      purchase. (CON)
>    - Any advice on which receiver to buy?
Probably any of the receivers listed at http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/
would be a start.

>    - Can MythTV control an external receiver via the serial link?
Yes.

Yes.  http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.3
>    - Any advice on which card to buy?
Card?  Build the "simple transmitter circuit" for < $5 U.S. with the
schematic at http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html.  Check the
gossamer-threads archive for Radio Shack part numbers.

Control via serial port will be much less problematic since you won't
run into issues like repeated characters, etc.