[mythtv-users] Internal Video player (was: MythVideo Folder Support)

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Wed Jan 7 08:51:47 EST 2004

Albert Santoni wrote:
> You're my hero. Officially.
> MythTV just keeps getting better all the time. Having MythVideo and
> MythDVD's OSDs match MythTV's would add a tremendous amount of polish to
> the project. I'm not saying that your "internal" player will only be
> good because of this, but rather that'll it will add a tremendous amount
> of sex appeal to Myth.

It's all about the WAF. My wife likes things to be consistent and
orderly..  Picture this conversation:

w: "Why doesn't this work the same as the tv stuff?"
m: "Because Myth uses another program to play DVDs."
w: "Well why doesn't it just do the same thing as it does for TV."
m: "It's complicated, the bottom line is it's not been important enough
for any to sit down and write it."
w: "Well why don't YOU do it?"
m: "Yes dear"

;)

It turned out not to be difficult at all. After mucking around with the
sample programs and getting a feel for the API I pulled down source for
Kaffine and discovered they had a Qt widget that implemented the
nessesary callbacks for Xine to output to it.

After that it was a matter of removing all the KDE cruft and changing
some things around in the way they did things here and there.

There's lots of nifty things we could do with this.  MythMusic could use
  it for it's playback engine and leverage the visualizations Xine has,
though we'd either have to port our existing ones or lose them.  But
we'd gain the advantage of the audio playback & visualizations being
actively worked on by another team thus allow Myth folks to focus on
Myth things.

At some point I want to explore using the widget as a background for
some of the theme menus ala Tivo...  I *think* it'd be fairly trivial to
do implement in code, creating the background mpegs might be another story.