[mythtv-users] pvr-250 video resolution, quality, stability

michael brown spam-me at houston.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 13:03:50 EST 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote some stuff that OE saw as an attachment:

>> I have seen more than one VIA based socket-370 motherboard that
>> couldn't
>> handle driving a TV capture card full screen without tearing and
>> dropping many frames.  The data path between the PCI capture card and
>> the AGP bus was apparently restricted when compared to Intel.  New
>> drivers, bios, and everything else I could think of would not fix it.
>> finally swapped the boards for i815 based and viola, everything's
>> perfect.

> For what its worth, I've got an MSI KM2M Combo-L micro-ATX board that
> uses the KM266 chipset, and it was rock-solid with a PVR-250. (I've
> since replaced it with an nForce2 board, but not because of stability
> reasons). Its one of those ymmv things... :-\

Glad to hear that they've got it going well now.  :-)  I was just
surprised at the problem and that their was never a way to fix it.
Hauppauge's web site had information about it, but never anything
hinting at a real solution.  I suppose that particular data path (PCI in
followed by out to AGP) was a bit unusual AFAICT TV cards are the only
thing to really operate in this fashion.  All other aspects of chipsets
seemed well enough and games played fine, but watching full screen TV
wasn't in the cards for these particular chipsets.  :-(  This isn't
meant to start some kind of Intel vs. AMD vs. Via vs. reality vs.
.......  war.  I'm just relating a particular experience that was
something less than nice.  ;-)

michael brown