[mythtv-users] Low profile TV tuner card?

Gary Marsh gmarsh at housewarez.net
Tue Jan 6 09:38:10 EST 2004

I've got the current system currently running as a web/mail/file/music
box, and I originally intended to build a MAME cabinet with it:

- Antec Minuet MATX case
- Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard, nforce2 w/onboard TV out
- Athlon XP 2000+
- 512 megs PC2700.
- 160 gig HD
- 16x DVD-ROM

Then someone pointed out freevo/mythtv to me, so I figured 'why not? I'll
grab a TV tuner and wire up some xbox controllers or something'... which
yields an uber web/mail/file/tivo/music/mame/mess system. Well, that's my
dream.

Now, the Minuet requires low profile PCI cards, which means getting a TV
tuner has turned out to be a pain in the ass.

So far, the only low profile card I've found *which I can buy* is a KWorld
CX23883 based card, which doesn't appear to be supported. I've realized
KWorld also makes a low profile BT878 based card, but after an hour on
Google I still can't find any north american vendor on Google which sells
it..

So the next option is to find a physically small TV tuner card and modify
its PCI bracket. But the only card I've found that appears to be slim
enough is an Asus TV-FM card (the cheap one on Newegg) and further
investigation shows that it uses the SAA7133 chipset (is that close enough
to a 7134?)

I could get a different case, but I really don't want to - the Minuet
looks darn good next to everything else in the AV rack ;)

any ideas?