[mythtv-users] pvr-250 video resolution, quality, stability

michael brown spam-me at houston.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 18:39:44 EST 2004

From: "David Rees" <drees at greenhydrant.com>
> I'm using a Via KM266 motherboard.  One of the FAQs suggests that
> various Via chipsets chan't handle lots of DMA throughput.
>
> http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=1#q33
> http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=1#q25
>
> I'm not convinced that it's a Via motherboard issue as I have never
seen
> any other reports of other peripherals which also use heavy DMA access
> (IO controllers, ethernet controllers) blame problems on the chipset.
> suspect there are still issues in the ivtv drivers.

I have seen more than one VIA based socket-370 motherboard that couldn't
handle driving a TV capture card full screen without tearing and
dropping many frames.  The data path between the PCI capture card and
the AGP bus was apparently restricted when compared to Intel.  New
drivers, bios, and everything else I could think of would not fix it.  I
finally swapped the boards for i815 based and viola, everything's
perfect.

michael brown