[mythtv-users] SPDIF outputs on an intel8x0 soundcard with MythMusic

Scott Elliott selliott at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 22:27:07 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 02:42, Alan J. Pippin wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> I checked my /dev/ directory and did not find a sound subdirectory. I do
> have a /dev/snd directory and a /dev/adsp device. When attempting to use
> this device with aplay -D /dev/adsp I get the following error message:
>
> ALSA lib pcm.c:1933:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM /dev/adsp0
> aplay: main:502: audio open error: No such file or directory
>
> Mplayer also dies with this error message:
> Could not open/initialize audio device

Sorry, I've been using devfs for a while, and I forget not everyone has
/dev/sound.

"aplay" is for ALSA devices, and you're using an OSS device (which, I
know, is being emulated by ALSA.)  So "aplay -D /dev/adsp" won't work.
You could try some other command (mpg123, ogg123, etc.) that uses the
OSS devices.

You also may want to make sure which ALSA device /dev/adsp0 is associated with.  If
you do a "aplay -l", you get something like:

# aplay -l
card 0: nForce [NVidia nForce], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia nForce]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: nForce [NVidia nForce], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia nForce - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

With the newest version of ALSA, the IEC958 device is device 2, not device 1 as it was before.
If so, you need to add an option for the snd-pcm-oss module in your modules.conf to get
it associated correctly.  I added:

options snd-pcm-oss adsp_map=2

--

Scott Elliott <selliott at insight.rr.com>