[mythtv-users] Simple transmitter-is it safe?

Stuart Felenstein stuart4m at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 14:48:36 EST 2004

I'm having a hard time tracking down the IR LED, at least the one shown in the diagram (LD271) I know it's Osram but Newark doesn't have that line from them, and Newark (for tose in the u.s.)is probably the best electronics retailer.
So can someone tell me the specs I need on the infrared emitter?  I found some by Fairchild but they seem to differ in mA and angle? Not sure which one.

Thanks
Stuart

Chris Osgood <mythtv at functionalfuture.com> wrote:
I'm using the same transmitter. (IR LED + diode + 220 Ohm resistor)

The suggested 1k resistor was too much for my modern serial port as it
only does like +/-5V in the first place.

With no resistor I get a range of over 8 feet (as far as I could easily
test).

With the 220 Ohm resistor I get a range of about 2-3 feet which is all I
need since it's stuck on the front of my cable box.

Note that I've found the range can vary drastically depending on how good
the receiving device is.

Works great so far.

--
// Chris