[mythtv-users] Output to HDTV

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 5 10:24:54 EST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2004, at 12:33, Peter Lee wrote:
>
>> As a result, like Jarod, I now use only the vga output from my mythtv
>> box.
>> My plasma monitor has a vga input, so no component video adapter is
>> needed.
>> The picture is rock-solid.  (Dvds are really beautiful.)  The only
>> downside
>> of this arrangement, for me, is that the vga mode doesn't provide a
>> "justification" mode that stretches out the outer left/right edges of
>> 4:3
>> images (but keeping the middle 50% unaffected) to fill a 16:9 display.
>> much prefer this to simply stretching the entire 4:3 image (and I also
>> don't
>> care for left-right letterboxing).
>
> Ug. I can't stand that mode. :)
>> Unfortunately, only the svideo and
>> component video modes support justification.
>
> I'm not sure if my set does that on the s-vid inputs, but it does on
> the component ones. I use stretched 4:3 mode (I *really* hate
> left-right letterbox -- that's a waste of screen real estate!!!).

Heh heh.  I think most of the world agrees with you about the justification
mode.  One reason I like it is that the image quality of the "main" (ie,
middle) part of the picture is retained a bit better, since the image is not
stretched as much.

I definitely agree about left-right letterboxing being bad.

Peter