[mythtv-users] CPU requirements with PVR-350

Chris Wieringa cwieri39 at calvin.edu
Mon Jan 5 08:41:42 EST 2004

>I have a spare PC laying around (K6-450, 256MB RAM) and want to see if I
>can make it into a useable MythTV box. I'm looking at getting a PVR-350,
>so encoding and decoding will all be done by the PVR. How well will this
>work, or do I still need a faster CPU? Also, can the PVR-350 simultaneously
>encode and decode? If so, could I expect to be able to do so with my K6-450?

I'm using my K6-3 450 with 256MB RAM right now as my Myth box with a PVR-250.
I've had great success with it, especially since XvMC is running properly now
in the latest Myth CVS.  I'm getting about 45-55% CPU usage on playback.

I've written up my project / specs on my website -
http://www.chriswieringa.com/page.php?page=projects_mythtv .

Chris Wieringa
cwieri39 at calvin.edu