[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV Output

Bill Mackintosh never4u at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jan 4 21:56:08 EST 2004

I have built a system around RedHat's Fedora Core 1 and followed Jarod's
page at  <http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/ and have
succeeded in getting MythTV to work on the PC.  Everytime I  follow the
directions for enabling the ivtv-fb output at
<http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-print.php?page=TvOutHowto>
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-print.php?page=TvOutHowto I can compile the
driver (I have used ivtv-031125A-0.12, ivtv-031125A and
decoder-alpha-311003A versions) and install it, and can get MythTV to output
the video to the television, however the mythfrontend process (or possibly
the entire OS) locks up after approximately 15-20 seconds, faster if I
change channels (using external receiver w/appropriate channel changing perl
script specified in MythTV setup) or rewind/FF the video.

When compiling the ivtv-fb driver, I get a couple of "#warning Using
temporary hack for missing I2C driver-ID for" error messages, one for
saa7114 and one for tveeprom.c.  I have also seen the onscreen error message
in the terminal window while viewing the logs"warning: cannot reserve video
memory at 0x15000000 (not absolutely sure of the error # there, sorry!)

Since MythTV works just fine w/out the ivtv-fb driver installed, I'm fairly
confident this is the culprit.  W/out the TV output, the system is virtually
useless to me since I don't want to watch TV on a CRT.

I am a new linux user, basically got into it just to get MythTV setup and
running.  I am very versed in DOS/Windows however, and am willing to learn
Linux! :)

I've tried to include as much system info as I can below.  Any help you can
offer in getting this working will be most appreciated!

PC Specs
BioStar M7VKG motherboard
Athlon 1.2GHz CPU
2 x 256MB PC 133MHz memory modules (for a total of 512MB onboard)
Visiontek GEForce 3 TI200 AGP graphics card
Hauppauge PVR-350
Sohoware 10/100 NIC
Soundblaster Live Value! soundcard (As a side question, is this actually
necessary since the PVR-350 is doing all the encoding/decoding of the
audio?)
Maxtor 20GB ATA100 master drive (root, boot and swap partitions)
Western Digital 80GB ATA133 slave drive (mounted as /d_hdd and will be used
as video storage drive if I can get MythTV working correctly with the video
output)
16X DVD-ROM drive
3 1/2" floppy drive

Software Specs
Running RedHat Fedora Core 1 running custom kernel 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl_27 as
specified on Jarod's site.
Using OSS as sound module, not ALSA
Have updated via apt-get to ALL latest modules/drivers.  No other updates
available.
Running mythtv .13 + all add on modules