[mythtv-users] recorded shows

Tom Jaeger tjaeger at networksinstalled.com
Sun Jan 4 20:03:05 EST 2004

Do you understand that quote???
Lets break it down

c) The record and the District Court's findings show
(1) that there is a significant likelihood that substantial numbers of
copyright holders who license their works for broadcast on free
television would not object to having their broadcast time-shifted by
private viewers (i. e., recorded at a time when the VTR owner cannot
view the broadcast so that it can be watched at a later time); and
Sony is not liable because most copyright holders don't care if people
time shift (still illegal to do so but like j-walking they don't care)
(2) that there is no likelihood that time-shifting would cause
nonminimal harm to the potential market for, or the value of,
respondents' copyrighted works. The VTR's are therefore capable of
substantial noninfringing uses. (sony not liable because the product can
be used for legal uses)

Private, noncommercial time-shifting in the home satisfies this standard
of noninfringing uses both because respondents have no right to prevent
other copyright holders from authorizing such time-shifting for their
programs, (Disney has no right to keep people from time shifting when
the owner of the copy right allows it)
and because the District Court's findings reveal that even the
unauthorized home time-shifting of respondents' programs is legitimate
fair use. You can do legal recording of copyrighted material under the
fair use so they cant ban it across the board)

This says that VCR's cant be banned because some companies allow time
shifting and even if the company does not authorize time shifting there
are still times under the fair use (collecting data for a school
project) that it is legal in the home.

It does not say that you have the right to copy someone else's
copyrighted material for your own private use.

Tom J

Pp. 442-456. ( >