[mythtv-users] Yet another hardware list

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Sat Jan 3 22:09:42 EST 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2004, at 20:21, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>
>> AOpen AK79G-MAX mobo (onboard GF4MX)

I really liked the specs and was gonna buy this mobo, but changed my
mind after reading a bunch of bad customer reviews on newegg.com that
were pretty bad.  If you get it and have a good experience with it,
please let us know :)

> (3) Kingston RAM okay?
>
> Never had a problem with it here. But note one thing: you say 512MB
> DDR Dual Channel... For dual channel operation, you would need a pair
> of 256MB chips, and then on top of that, nForce2 boards can't operate
> in dual channel mode if you're using the onboard GF4MX.

Also, stay away from pc3200 RAM (you said pc2700) - nforce2/IGP boards
can't use onboard video and run RAM at 400mhz at the same time in a
supported config.

>> (4) I'd really like a slot-loading combo (DVD/CD-RW) drive, but can't
>> seem to
>> find any at a reasonable price.  (A DVD+/-RW isn't currently in the
>> budget.
>> Also, any suggestions on what CD (combo) drivers are quietest?

FWIW, I got the NEC DVD+/-RW drive from newegg for about $100.  Not sure
what you were paying for a CD/DVD drive - you didn't say (though
probably less than $100...).  I have the NEC in the Overture case, and
it seems pretty quiet.

 - Jeff