[mythtv-users] minimum CPU requirements for PVR-250

Andy Skinn askinn at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 20:21:13 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the list and hoping that someone will be able to
help me out...

I'm looking to build a MythTV box using a PVR-250.  I don't
have this card yet, but I have an old system that I was
wanting to use but I don't know if it will have enough
juice... it's an old Cyrix 233Mhz Ambra computer.  I know
this is severely underpowered for what most people would
use, but I was hoping that the hardware encoding on the
PVR-250 might let me get away with it.  Either that, or
should I go with the PVR-350 to get the hardware encoding
and decoding.

Another option is to replace the motherboard in that case.
Problem is, it's an old LPX form factor.  I think I could
probably get an NLX motherboard into the case (and I've
seen some cheap NLX mobos on ebay) - but even if I do this,
what is the minimum CPU anyone would recommend for use with
MythTV.  Also, if there are features of MythTV that I could
disable that may allow it to run on this 233 computer, let
me know as I'm open to anything.

Thanks for your help.