[mythtv-users] setup and install of dct-channels - newbie's questions

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Sat Jan 3 13:55:28 EST 2004

> I want to be sure I'm compiling and installing it
> correctly.  Is this correct:
>
> $ cd /home/mythtv/mythtv-0.13/contrib/dct-channel
> $ make
> $ make install
>
> From there the script should be installed, right?

If there were no errors, then yes, it should get installed into
/usr/local/bin.  Check to make sure /usr/local/bin/channel exists.
Also, try it out -- connect your serial cable and run e.g.

   /usr/local/bin/channel -v 17

to see if it correctly changes to channel 17.

> Then add a source on my pvr-250 input (composite 4)
> for the digital stream... and somehow point it to the
> "channel" binary?  The README suggests to use "channel
> -v" which I assume I can type in under the config for
> composite 4, right?

Under Input Connections, select Composite 4, set the video source to
your channel provider, and enter the external channel change command

   /usr/local/bin/channel -v

-jim