[mythtv-users] Output to HDTV

Shane Warren swlists at mit.midco.net
Sat Jan 3 09:28:04 EST 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> Both DVD and TV look quite good on my system. I'm feeding a 960x540p
> signal through an Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component Video adapter.
> Perhaps it is something related to your video card. I'm using a GF4MX
> (nForce2 onboard video, actually). What are you using?

Actually I'm using an onboard GF4MX on a nForce2 board too.  I was also
using a 9A60 adapter to get 480p on another TV and it was having similar
issues, plus that TV had serious overscan problems so much that it
prompted me to finally buy a new TV.   I wasn't actually all that
surprised when the new TV showed interlacing effects, it seems like if
you play back an interlaced stream onto a  progressive scan output you
will always see the effect unless you take it out w/ either a) software,
or b) your TV takes it out.

My TV will de-interlace video but only on the non progressive scan
inputs (svideo,composite, and one 480i component input).  I'm totally
surprised you don't see it, I would think this would always be an issue
unless the source stream wasn't interlaced or the output device was
de-interlacing it for you.

 Is there a possibility your TV/monitor/projector is doing the
de-interlacing for you (seems unlikely since you mentioned running in
540p mode, which is somewhat equivalent to 1080i right, hmm actually
maybe thats why maybe your TV always de-interlaces 1080i signals which
it thinks your signal is, just a thought).  What is the native
resolution of your output device?

On my set (DLP rear projection) the native resolution is 1280x720p,
everything else gets scaled to that.  I guess I could try outputting at
540p and see if my TV de-interlaces that since its native output is
720p, but I think I would loose some picture quality in the translation too.