[mythtv-users] mmx complilation problem (fwd)

Matthew Laird myth at luther.ca
Fri Jan 2 21:32:27 EST 2004

Just reading up about -fPIC, interesting... it makes me wonder if this
might be why I'm having occational instability with my myth system.  If I
understand this correctly -fPIC allows a shared library to be loaded
multiple times.  So if the front and backend on a single machines were
both trying to load the same library.... badness could potentially
occur....

It makes me wonder if it's related to the fellow who posted earlier today
about instability with his system (the "Waited 2 Second" thread).  It
would be interesting to see if it's the setup of having both the frontend
and backend on the same system without relocatedable libraries which
causes problems.... like the occational "lost socket" error message which
forces a Myth restart.

I'm not sure how to test this further beyond setting up a second box as
frontend only, unfortunately I don't have a spare machine to use for this.
:)